Facebook

Share

Friday, December 08, 2006

Alex Ball: Yella Dawgs, Greased Pigs and Political Punditry


I was having a cup of coffee this morning with Powerbloggers Philip Baruth and Neil Jensen plotting the next edition of Audio Dream Theater (yes...I'm sorry, but there IS going to be a next one!) and we did have a moment...brief, though it was, of sympathy for Politicians and Public Figures.

"How maddening must it be", we wondered, "to live in a world were you were NEVER off camera, where there was ALWAYS an open mike?" The stress must be pretty incredible, we thought.

And then we changed the subject.

When I returned to my email, a little later, I found a note from my friend Heather:
Did you really tell a reporter that you would sooner vote for a greased pig if it had been an option?


I vaguely remember talking to some person with a note pad at the Vermont Democratic Victory Party on Election night...and I think I remember saying something about being willing to vote for a pig before I was willing to vote for a republican...but how would somebody in another state know that?

And So I "Googled" it...and sure enough...if you search "Alex Ball" and "Greased Pig" you will find the article.

Wow! Quoted in the Valley News...

I have arrived. I have achieved pundit status. It's been a long climb, and, you know, it is lonely here at the top, but I'll deal with it.

After all, as Teddy Roosevelt said:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.



Yes. Fame. It's a heavy price to pay for being me, but one I am willing to bear.

By the way, have I mentioned that there are now SEVEN blogs that link to this one?

No comments: