Facebook

Share

Friday, July 04, 2008

Fairwell Jessie Helms: Make Sure You use PLENTY of Nails on the box


This may sound bitter- I can't help it.

About, oh gosh, it must have been almost twenty years ago now, I caught a comedian on cable. I can't remember his name, but I've never forgotten one part of his shtick and I've been chuckling over it ever since...

I paraphrase...


"You ever see on the news when they say: So-and-So died an untimely death today?

"What the heck does that mean....an UN timely death....I'm asking you: what kind of DEATH is TIMELY, that's what I want to know. That's such a dumb thing to say, an "untimely death"....

"You wanna know what I wanna hear? Here's the news I wanna hear: " 'Jessie Helms died today and it's about goddamn time.' "

(Thunderous applause)


I've been waiting almost twenty years for that news report...but today it finally came, and it's about goddamn time.



NOTES:
Reader Sidurri commented that he thought the comedian George Wallace made the joke...
He certainly sounds like a great candidate....here's a link to a link to a interview with him on NPR around about the time at 2004 election...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. :) That bit was the first thing I thought of when I heard Helms had died. I think the comedian was George Wallace.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was George Wallace. I believe he was on the now defunct Arsenio Hall show but I'm not sure. I chuckled too when I heard the news that Mr. Helms died because I remembered the joke that George Wallace said about him. What's also funny is that I had never heard of Jesse Helms until when George Wallace said that. :)