Facebook

Share

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hatred Vs. Hope

I have to admit to being a bit discouraged. Or at least, I was before this morning.

Yesterday, I found out that I was wrong, and that Mickey Ha-Mouse was not just another piece of right-wingnut propaganda, but a real production of Hamas- teaching Palestinian children that their mission was to dominate the world as Islamists.

Today, I read of the thwarted attack on Fort Dix by a group of Muslims in New Jersey.

My taxi driver this morning said: I don’t know where you come down on this, but it sure seems like it was awful convenient for them guys down there in Washington for this to happen right now.


I might have thought the same thing, but then I remembered Farfour the Mouse: teaching hatred to children, and I realize once again that there really IS a war going on – and that the United States, under George Bush, may have lost our best chance to end it quickly by allowing himself to be distracted by Iraq.

If we had treated this as a police action, instead of as the "Holy War" American Pentecostals were hoping for, we might have brought Osama to justice, rather than allow him to remain at large and free to inspire other crazies.

With this new escalation, I realize that it will be harder and harder for the voice of common sense to be heard.

That got me a little depressed.

Until I went out on to my front porch this morning. My fiancĂ©e is away for the year, and she didn’t trust me to take good care of the hanging flower basket on the front porch. So she replaced it with an artificial basket of flowers.

This morning, I went out to the front porch to drink my coffee and I noticed that the porch railing under the fake plant was daubed with mud. That shouldn’t be, I thought.

So I went over to look, and there, buried deeply within the plastic leaves, was a tiny little nest with 4 brilliant blue robin’s eggs in it.

I’m not going to come up with some sappy bit of glurge about how the truth shines through like bright blue robins eggs….but I will say that, for just a moment, I was able to take some hope from the sight.


PS-


If you are looking for some anti-glurge, check out this site.

The Jesus and the Bunny Story

4 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you so much for the bunny story. It has made my day better to know that there are still people out there with the ability to use their brains.

If you can keep your cats alive, shouldn't you be able to take care of a plant? No, don't answer that.

Alex said...

SOME how, I feel that you are missing my point about the little real birds nest in a big plastic plant...however- thanks for reading, and it's probably not a question of CAN I keep the plant alive, but, rather, would I BOTHER!

Heather said...

Oh, I got the point, I just chose not to focus on the obvious.

Alex said...

Oh Don't Worry- I didn't think you were missing the point accidently!