Facebook

Share

Friday, October 20, 2006

Close to Home

With the disappearance and death of UVM Student Michele Gardener-Quinn last week, Burlington has suffered what still is, thank god, a most UNVermont-like tragedy.

The loss has got me thinking about the questions of "law" and "order" and, yes, of course, party politics.

Yesterday, I got a chance to speak with a representative of the Vermont Troopers Foundation (the State Police Union). I was curious to know why this organization chose to support Democrat Peter Welch.

"Well", was the answer, "Republicans talk tough on crime but Peter has always been there for us in the state house backing us up."

You mean, I wondered, that Republicans talk, but Democrats actually come up with the funding?

I wonder why there are so many people out there who just don't get it?

No comments: